Thursday, November 22, 2012

Ironman Arizona Re-Cap Part #1

This past weekend I completed my FIRST 140.6 Ironman in Tempe, AZ with a time of 13:52:21

Before I start with the details of my race...I have to mention and/or thank quite a few people who have helped me in some way or another whether they realize it or not and deserve my gratitude...From Bremerton, WA to Collegeville, Pa... I really have some AWESOME Friends !


To my old friend & riding partner Charlie who passed away many years ago...You're always with me when I am out riding. This one's for you !

I have always been a cyclist and I have been running marathons for years and I can swim sorta. Well, I can swim...but swimming 2.4 miles in a race is a different story! So,while I was living in Seattle I took some ferry rides over to Bremerton to work with Ryan Chapman on my swim. I'm afraid the saying about trying to teach an old dog new tricks applies to me. Ryan teaches Total Immersion which is a really cool method of swimming and takes some practice to nail down.  So, do I use the TI Freestyle Stroke? No, but I learned a lot from him and also the video he shot of my swim. Every little bit helps..Thanks Ryan !

If you are a Louisville Landshark...YOU ROCK ! There is not a single member that wouldn't go out of their way to help you or encourage you and even share some of their race secrets...OK, peeing on my bike will NEVER be happening, but thanks for the advice anyways :) Seriously, I can afford to give up a few minutes for that. That one always cracks me up...But, in order to thank everyone, I would pretty much have to mention almost everyone in the club and that would take a while, so I'm just gonna say THANKS to EVERYONE in the club and a special thanks to the ones who kept an extra eye on me at the Deams Lake/Mudstache swims and those who rode with me on those crisp morning rides over in Indiana...You all know who you are!

My peeps from Shelbyville really made putting in all those bike miles enjoyable. Thanks, Alicia(AL)Laubach, Maggie Hulsman, Shera Clark, Suzan Ribenboim, Cynthia Heady, Rob Carter, Tom Waggener & Rusty Barrett.

Also from Shelbyville...Thanks to Danny Orendorf for some interesting Sunday morning "Chill Rides" and some not so Chill rides.

Thanks Tom Waggener @ Main Street Bikes for the building up my Fuji D6.

The Louisville Bicycle Club, I was able to jump in on one their 100 mile Mad Dog rides and rode with Susan Howell & Steve Rice.

Let's see... I can't forget my buds from Waddy. Thanks Rob Grissom & Roy Yount.

Big thanks to Rachel Hardin for loaning me her race wheels !!

Mike Rice, my brother from another mother.. This year we really didn't get to train much together, but we still got some hill repeats in and you bugged the piss out of me to swim in the Ohio River this fall which was exactly what I needed.  Thank you Mike !

Christine Stotler, is one awesome woman ! I have to brag on her just a little, because this was only her 13th Ironman and her 3rd for 2012 !! She is the toughest, most organized & independent person I know and she runs a VERY tight schedule and kept me on my toes while in Tempe.  I really can't express how much I appreciate her help and encouragement this year. I always grin when I hear "Suck It Up Buttercup" and if a Ironman tells you SHE is gonna punch you in the nose ! You better be paying attention :) It was great spending time with her and an honor to race with her too! Truely a Great friend, THANKS Chris !!!!!!!!

Thanks to Paul Meredith & Sean Griffin, My best friends who tracked me all day and were glued to the live broadcast watching for me to cross the line.

I simply can't mention everyone, but I received many messages from all my local & out of state friends wishing me luck, I appreciate them and thank them also.

Last but not least, My family..... Who's Crazy Now ??!!!
I was really shocked afterwards to find out that Amy, Al Jr, Mom, Dad & Paul had been calling each other throughout the day, tracking and also watching the live feed online !!


It's amazing how much support I have when I sit down and think about it.....


No comments:

Post a Comment